Which STI tests do I need?

We think that everyone should get tested for HIV, syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea as part of their regular sexual health check-up.

If you are in a higher-risk group you may also want to test for hepatitis B and hepatitis C.

Higher risk groups for hepatitis B:

  • men who have sex with men

  • people who inject drugs

  • people whose partners are high risk

  • sex workers

  • people who have a family member with hepatitis B

  • people born in areas where hepatitis B is common (Sub-Saharan Africa, South America, East and South-East Asia, the Pacific Islands, Southern parts of East and Central Europe and The Indian subcontinent)

Higher risk groups for hepatitis C:

  • people who inject drugs

  • men who have sex with men

What STIs should I NOT test for?

Some sexually transmitted infections are diagnosed by a clinician looking at your symptoms during a clinical examination. We do not recommend testing for these. These include genital herpes, genital warts and pubic lice.

Some organisms are found in the genital area and often cause no problems. We do not recommend routine testing for them. These include mycoplasma genitalium, ureaplasma urealyticum and candida.

If you have symptoms, we recommend that you visit a clinic. They'll offer you an examination of your genitals and additional tests if needed.

Reviewed by Dr Paula Baraitser. Medical Director, SH:24
Last updated at: 02 February 2024
Published on: 16 March 2023